from Satellite Beach, Florida, United States
Submitted on 04-12-2014
BY FAR, HANDS DOWN, WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF OUR LIVES!!! After a long day on the road we stopped at ABVI at Tillman's Corner in Mobile, Alabama because it appeared clean on the outside, allowed pets, and seemed like it was a good deal. Our first room, #115, was insufficient because we needed 2 beds- a simple oversight. After getting our second room, #117, we looked it over and weren't overly impressed. It seemed decent but not high quality by any means and looked very "worn" for lack of better...
BY FAR, HANDS DOWN, WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF OUR LIVES!!! After a long day on the road we stopped at ABVI at Tillman's Corner in Mobile, Alabama because it appeared clean on the outside, allowed pets, and seemed like it was a good deal. Our first room, #115, was insufficient because we needed 2 beds- a simple oversight. After getting our second room, #117, we looked it over and weren't overly impressed. It seemed decent but not high quality by any means and looked very "worn" for lack of better words. My husband and son left to get dinner and I went about settling in for the night. I was immediately put off when I turned on the heat and it caused the room to reek of CIGARETTE SMOKE, since we were in a NON-SMOKING ROOM. Was unpacking when I noticed something behind the tv stand...I saw what appeared to be a SYRINGE/NEEDLE!!!!!! I promptly called my husband to hurry back and started repacking our things. My husband confirmed what I had seen and immediately went to the front desk to report our findings. The girl at the front desk was shocked, apologized profusely, and offered to put us into a different room. To be honest, I know it sounds insane that we continued to stay at this establishment after this but at the time we were exhausted, had another long day of driving ahead of us, and the idea of at least getting a different room seemed like it was okay. (After all, while there are some DISGUSTING uses for needles, there are also medically understandable uses for them, although it doesn't speak highly of their housekeeping staff AT ALL.) We moved on to our third room, #119, and immediately noticed that it smelled somewhat like sweaty gym shoes so we left the door open for awhile to air it out. We ate since we were starving & then got busy changing for bed, preparing for the next day, etc. At one point we realized that we didn't have their Wi-Fi password and tried to call the front desk from the hotel room phone....only to realize that it's basically a play phone and DID NOT WORK WHATSOEVER! We had to call the front desk from our cell phones to get the password only to find out that it was all for nothing because their Wi-Fi is so slow it was pointless to attempt using it. It wasn't until we were about to go to sleep (and had been in the room for an hour+) that we pulled back the covers and noticed that the SHEETS WERE WRINKLED AND HAD HAIR ON THEM. It was pretty apparent that the SHEETS HADN'T BEEN CHANGED!!! We couldn't stand the idea of packing up again, arguing with the desk only to walk away (we assumed) without a refund, and start the whole process over again somewhere else. I covered the pillows with t-shirts and sweatshirts and we all ended up SLEEPING ON TOP OF THE COVERS!!! We woke up super early the next day so we could leave as soon as possible. My husband showered first. I showered after him and it wasn't until I was almost finished that I noticed a long hair on one of the walls and a HALF USED BAR OF SOAP someone else had left there before us!!!! I got out and started toweling off only to notice that my towel either HADN'T BEEN LAUNDERED AT ALL or their fresh towels just happen to smell like crap. My husband went to the front desk at 7:15 a.m., made some complaints to the front desk clerk (who seemingly didn't care and never apologized) and was told the manager would be in at 8:00 a.m. He noticed while he was there that their continental breakfast consisted of Little Debbie's individually wrapped pastries and lukewarm coffee. We left to get coffee and breakfast and came back at 8:10 a.m. to check out & file a complaint with the manager. He wasn't there so the clerk called him and told us it would be five minutes. I had asked for the manager's name so that I could write it down for future reference and the front desk clerk told me that he "didn't have a last name"?!?! I repeated that back to him in a manner that apparetly made him realize how ridiculous his statement was and he then gave me the manager's full name. For the next 23 MINUTES, the clerk repeatedly lied to us about when the manager would arrive, made no attempt to apologize for our terrible stay, didn't seem to care that we were upset, and spent most of the time PLAYING ON HIS CELL PHONE. The manager, MIKE PATEL, finally strolled in wearing a sweater, sweat pants, and open-toed sandals, without greeting us or even making eye contact. As we rattled off a list of complaints he NEVER REACTED to anything we said, didn't seem shocked or upset, AND NEVER APOLOGIZED FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!! At one point he tried telling us that a diabetic couple was in the room before us and they left a needle behind the tv!!!!!!....AS IF A COMPLETE MEDICAL HISTORY IS REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN?!?! He also tried telling us that all of their heaters smell like smoke because of the way the dust on the coils burns when they haven't been used in awhile!!! (I understand they can't help it if someone smokes in a non-smoking room but DON'T put a non-smoking sign on the door if someone lit up in there!!! SOME PEOPLE HAVE LEGITIMATE ALLERGIES TO CIGARETTE SMOKE!!!!!!) He gave us a full refund and we told him that we really appreciated that but that it, in no way, made up for what happened and how awful their hotel is. (IN THE EVENT THAT IT'S NECESSARY- I WOULD LIKE TO STATE THAT WE HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS TO SUPPORT THIS COMPLAINT.) ***DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!***