from County Durham, United Kingdom
Submitted on 13-08-2016
Firstly, let's talk location. There is hardly anything of note near the hotel. It is situated in an industrial area, right by the M4/M5 motorways. It's really easy to get from the motorway (literally about 30 seconds from the slip road). There are a couple of small restaurants about half a mile away, and a tiny Tesco express about the same distance. There's a larger Tesco about 1 mile away, but that's about your lot. If, like me, you are there to be nearby an office, this is a great location. If...
Firstly, let's talk location. There is hardly anything of note near the hotel. It is situated in an industrial area, right by the M4/M5 motorways. It's really easy to get from the motorway (literally about 30 seconds from the slip road). There are a couple of small restaurants about half a mile away, and a tiny Tesco express about the same distance. There's a larger Tesco about 1 mile away, but that's about your lot. If, like me, you are there to be nearby an office, this is a great location. If you've got the car and want to use this hotel as a base, it is perfect, being right on the motorways. If you want everything to be on your doorstep, look elsewhere.
Overall, this is a nice, mid range hotel, providing great service at a realistic cost.
Being constructive, there are a fair few things that this hotel could improve on.
1) The water pressure was abysmal. The shower dribbled, and the toilet took several minutes to refill. I didn't use the bath, but I imagine it would take all night to fill. I was on the first floor (this hotel only has 2 floors), so maybe the ground floor would have been better.
2) The heating unit didn't seem to work. It either blew out air, or it didn't. The dial allowed me to change the temperature, but this was not reflected in the heat of the air being emitted. On closer inspection, and a quick Google search it appeared that the thermostat was being centrally controlled. Not too much of an issue though, being summer.
3) The TV, it's about 32 inches. The menu system was incredibly slow, the remote was hit and miss. I didn't notice any free HD channels, although there was a selection of "Freeview" ones.
4) There is WiFi. It is free. Sort of. You need to be a member of their "hhonours" loyalty scheme, and even then you only get basic WiFi. Costs to upgrade are fairly extortionate. Even a Travelodge provides free WiFi, albeit for 30 mins, and even after that free period it's only a couple of quid. The costs displayed on the Hilton sign-in screen ranged from about £10 to £25.
5) The car parking is really confusing. It is camera controlled. They have several tariffs ranging from 2 hours free, to £24 for 24 hours, then there's the guest tariff at £5 a night. All the signs say something like "You always need a ticket from the machine for every tariff, including free. See board for details", the board says "See reception for guest charges". They said I didn't need a ticket, but also mentioned how they were confused with the new system. I suppose time will tell whether I get a penalty notice or not.
6) Finally, the bin. Yes, this really peeved me off. They don't use a bin bag big enough, so as soon as you put something in the bin the bin bag swallows it up, and is pretty much useless from then on. It's just a tiny thing, but why can't they buy bin bags to fit?!
Right, enough of the criticisms, on to some positive stuff.
1) The staff are very courteous and friendly.
2) The hotel is really clean throughout, decorated well, and feels really homely.
3) The restaurant is really quite nice. A main course is approximately £20, certainly not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
4) The windows are triple glazed, that motorway mentioned earlier just disappears when you close the windows. Even with them open, you can't hear much as the roads are blocked out by lots of buildings.
So to sum everything up, if you want a hotel on the outskirts of Bristol, and have transport, this is ideal. It's a great hotel, and even with the criticisms above (they are all really picky, minor issues) I would definitely reconsider this hotel.